Before discussing the reasons, one should understand what Chemical Engineering really is!
It is often confused with Chemistry but most of the Chemical Engineering graduates will be offended if you say it’s basically chemistry. No, it isn’t! According to Wikipedia, “Chemical Engineering is a branch of engineering that applies physical sciences (physics and chemistry) and life sciences (microbiology and biochemistry) together with applied mathematics and economics to produce, transform, transport, and properly use chemicals, materials and energy.”.
So you see it’s not just chemistry but an amazing mixture of everything the right amount at the right places.
The basic ideology of Chemical Engineering is to make a change in the world by getting more and giving less, or converting basic raw materials like plant fossil to a commercial commodity like electricity and a lot more.
So here are a few reasons why you should study chemical Engineering:-
- Pay scale: It pays you more than most of the other courses like mechanical engineering, economics, Physics etc. A study by Forbes in the USA has yielded the following results:
- Flexibility to get a specialization: After you graduate with a degree of Chemical Engineering, a number of fields are open for you. Some of them are:
- Engineering managers
- Environmental Engineers
- Agricultural engineers
- Product safety engineers
- Nuclear engineers
- Soil and water conservationists
- Geoscientists, except hydrologists and geographers
- Nuclear power reactor operators
- Petroleum Engineers
- Research Opportunities: Chemical Engineering is one of those fields which are still developing and with this development comes the need for vigorous research. For people who love to innovate and are creative, Chemical Engineering gives you an outstanding platform where you can showcase your talent. Innovativeness is always welcomed in Chemical Engineering.
- Scope in India: The Chemical Engineering Industry in India is growing at a really fast rate and by the time you graduate, the opportunities will be multiple times than it is now.
With the current rate of increasing population leads into higher rates of pollution and it’s the time when the change should really come. More and more companies are looking for fresh intelligent graduates from a background in Chemical Engineering so as to work for the environment related issues.
- Less Competition: With a lesser number of students opting for this branch, clearly the competition is much lesser than the branches like Computer Science and Electrical Engineering. This ensures that you’re always getting the most. Due to this, Chemical Engineering in India is offered by only the top institutes where the quality of education is extremely high.
- Never out of demand: This is very true when it comes to Chemical Engineering. It will never go out of demand as people wouldn’t stop washing clothes or they would never stop driving cars.
- Big Names: All the large companies generating the highest revenue deal with Chemical Engineers in every way. Here is a list of the top Indian Companies by Fortune and you’ll know why!
- Reliance Industries
- State Bank Of India
- Tata Motors
- Indian Oil Corporation
- Hindalco Industries
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS)
- Bharat Petroleum
- Hindustan Petroleum
- Tata Steel
.. and when someone asks you to keep calm, you can proudly say:
About The Author-
I am a voracious reader, been a curious kid always. Enthusiasm and Positivism defines me. I have completed my Bachelors in Chemical Engineering from Amity University and now hoping to continue education and pursue my masters in Chemical Engineering. Currently intern at Engineers Corner